Sunday, February 15, 2009

Butchering

I had to play a little catch-up since I hadn't posted anything in a couple weeks, so there are several new posts to read if you wish. This weekend our family did our yearly butchering down on the farm. It's always fun to be down on the farm and especially good to get a chance to visit with my Grandparents. We had 5 hogs worth of meat to wrap and make sausage with. The kids had lots of fun running around on the farm and seeing the animals. I have fond memories of the farm as a child and I am glad to be able to expose my kids to that too.

Dad, Uncle Lynn, Uncle Craig and Justin all there for making the liver sausage.

I got to help with stuffing the beef sausage and yes Dana Mom and I wore our "official" butchering red fleeces

Uncle Lynn and dad cutting up the pig heads to make the head cheese. I never liked this type of sausage as a kids and still don't. It's something I won't make my kids eat.

Noah and Andrew playing with Petie the dog.


Here's looking at you kid. Most of the process really isn't that gory, but I remember being scared to look at the heads as a kid. When Andrew saw them he kept saying over and over "that's yucky Daddy!!" Gene said Andrew must have said it like 10 times.



No comments: